Development Code Updates
In an effort to refresh the county's development rules and standards, a three-year initiative nears completion this year. The Uniform Development Ordinance (UDO) regulates growth, the use of land and development within Currituck County, but hasn't been comprehensively updated since 1989. The ordinance includes zoning, subdivision and environmental regulations that govern the location, size and appearance of new development and redevelopment projects in Currituck County.
Following a UDO project questionnaire and series of public forums, goals were established to:
- improve user-friendliness
- modernize content
- maintain the county's unique character
- protect environmentally-sensitive areas
- establish new substantive standards for development quality
- "level the playing field" to ensure uniform application and enforcement for all
A series of public events currently are available to review the draft modules with plans to finalize and approve all UDO updates by the end of 2012. For more information and to review the proposed changes online, visit www.NewCodeCurrituck.com.