H2OBX Waterpark coming to Currituck County
by CCED, on 10/27/16 4:20 PM
The ceremonial shovels went into the ground on October 25 and construction has started on H2OBX, a new $46 million waterpark coming to lower Currituck County.
The H2OBX Waterpark will feature more than 30 waterslides, pools and attractions on 80 acres along U.S. 158 near Harbinger, 3 miles north of the Wright Memorial Bridge.
The park's grand opening is scheduled for Summer 2017.
According to a release from Aquatic Development Group (ADG), the company behind the H2OBX project, "developers Ken Ellis, Arthur Berry III, Tim Gantz and Jeff Malarney each bring substantial experience in their respective fields; waterpark development, planning, operations and market tourism."
Ken Ellis, president and CEO of ADG, is also co-owner with Arthur Berry III of the Camelback Resort, home to Aquatopia, the largest indoor waterpark in the Northeast, and Camelbeach outdoor waterpark.
Tim Gantz is the former owner and operator of America’s Largest Outdoor Waterpark, Noah’s Ark, and Jeff Malarney, former Navy JAGC, has been involved in the North Carolina vacation rental industry, recently serving two terms on the North Carolina Real Estate Commission. He is also a local Outer Banks resident and practicing attorney.
“H2OBX is going to be incredibly innovative because we have the full force of the industry’s best people behind it.”
The company said H2OBX will create more than 200 full-time and seasonal jobs once the waterpark opens.
“It’s going to be a huge business for us and a great job provider,” said Currituck Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Josh Bass.
Related: Currituck County: A Case Study in How Increased Tourism Spending Impacts Economic Development
“We are very excited to be working with the entire Outer Banks community to deliver a world-class waterpark that will deliver an exciting new entertainment option for vacationers,” said Berry. “H2OBX will further benefit the area through pre-and post opening job creation and draw additional tourism to the area.”
H2OBX Waterpark's planned features include:
• FlowRider®, Surfing Simulator
• Twin Tides dual entry Wave Pool
• 30,000 square-foot Action Wave Pool
• Adventure Lagoon featuring balance, climb and crawl across floats and structures
• Two high-speed Colorado Drop tube rides over 500 feet long and 71 feet long
• 90-foot tall Aqua Drop launch capsule free fall slide
• 90-foot tall Flat Line Loop body slides with launch capsule translucent fiberglass
• 50-foot drop Boomerango inner tube ride wall stall and Aqua Lucent lighting
• SuperBowl thrill ride with Aqua Lucent lighting and open bowl with a distinctive sawtooth edge
• 500-foot long Constrictor slide featuring high-speed tight turns
• 500-foot long Boomerango family raft ride with drops, weightless wall and zero gravity hump
• 540-foot long family raft ride over 540 feet long with open and enclosed sections and Aqua Lucent lighting
• Five Kid’s body and tube slides offering turns and loops
• Pirate-themed aqua play structure with more than 70 interactive features and seven slides, including the Champagne Bowl body slide