North Carolina wins 2017 Prosperity Cup from Site Selection Magazine
by Think Currituck, on 5/5/17 10:09 AM
After sharing the top spot with Texas in 2016, North Carolina has earned Site Selection magazine's Prosperity Cup (formerly known as the Competitiveness Award) for new business projects in the state.
The rankings are based on an index of 10 criteria, including the total number of new and expanded facilities in the state, capital investment and total number of new jobs created, that measure corporate project activity and business climate attractiveness.
Criteria used by Site Selection to arrive at final scores determining the competitiveness ranking of the states include:
- Total new and expanded facilities in 2016
- Total new and expanded facilities in 2016 per 1 million population
- Total capital investment in new and expanded facilities in 2016
- Total capital investment in new and expanded facilities per 1 million population in 2016
- Total new jobs created in 2016
- Total new jobs created in 2016 per 1 million population
- Rank in the corporate real estate executive portion of the 2016 Site Selection Business Climate Ranking
- State tax climate as ranked by the Tax Foundation
- Performance in the Beacon Hill Institute’s State Competitiveness Index
- Number of National Career Readiness Certificates per 1,000 residents aged 18-64
In a story on the Site Selection website, North Carolina Commerce Secretary Anthony M. Copeland said: “Corporate investors now are saying they are ready to move forward.”
Copeland added: “Our strategy right now is to continue to have robust partnerships — a wraparound strategy. When we’re working with companies, we all need to wrap our arms around that — the state, the legislature, the local county and local municipality. The legislature is prepared and ready, and we’re building alliances to move forward lock step with large projects."