Currituck County Approves Safety Actions for COVID-19
by Think Currituck, on 3/17/20 12:32 PM
During its March 16, 2020 meeting, the Currituck County Board of Commissioners approved a number of safety actions intended to reduce the risk of exposure to the COVID-19 coronavirus for citizens and county employees. The health and well-being of the county’s citizens and staff is paramount.
These items are effective March 17, 2020:
- The Currituck Senior Center, Knotts Island Senior Center, and Powell’s Point Senior Center are closed for 30 days. The Senior Center will continue to provide the home-delivered meal service on a regular schedule.
- The Barco Library, Corolla Library, and Moyock Library are closed to the general public for 30 days.
- The Moyock Welcome Center and Corolla Visitors Center are closed to the general public for 30 days.
- Access to all other county facilities will be permitted by appointment only. Citizens should contact staff to set an appointment, which will be conducted in a designated space that will be cleaned prior to and after each use.
- All county-sponsored events in the next 30 days are canceled.
- All events held on county property in the next 30 days are canceled.
- All county advisory board meetings in the next 30 days are canceled.
- The Board of Commissioners will meet only once per month until further notice. The next Board meeting will be held on April 20, 2020.
- Citizens are required to use online resources to conduct county business if feasible. Available online features include permit applications, Register of Deed certificates, ATV Permits, Beach Parking Permits and bill pay. Click here to access the Citizen Self Service application.
Additional safety measures may be taken in the near future if the need arises.
The Board of Commissioners, County Manager, and Emergency Management remain in regular consultation with Albemarle Regional Health Services and the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services on best practices for the workplace and public facilities. County employees will continue to report to work on a regular schedule and be available to field citizen phone calls.
A list of cancellations and closures is being maintained on the county website.
Updates to the status of county facilities and workforce will be made as information becomes available.
Additional cancellations and closures:
- Parks & Recreation spring seasons for youth soccer and volleyball
- Parks & Recreation open gym for adult volleyball and adult basketball
- *Parks & Recreation spring season for youth baseball and softball is suspended – a decision will be made on or about April 6. For more information, contact Parks & Recreation at 252-232-3007.
- Effective March 16, Superior Court proceedings are postponed for at least 30 days. Criminal District Court cases will be continued until after April 30 with the exception of the following hearings: first appearance; bond; probable cause; probation violation; and limited driving privilege.
- All Civil District Court matters scheduled to be heard between March 16 – May 1 are cancelled with the exception of the following proceedings: emergency custody; preliminary injunctions; and temporary restraining orders.
- Child Support court sessions are cancelled until after April 30. For more information, contact the Clerk of Court office at 252-232-6200. The Clerk of Court office will remain open for normal business hours.
- All inmate visitation and jail programs at the Currituck County Detention Center are cancelled until further notice. Citizens may use jailatm.com to deposit money into a family member’s account.
Special Notice to Businesses
As our Emergency Management team continues to proactively prepare and leverage technology during times of an incident, a quick survey, powered by GIS, has been created to gauge the operating status for county-wide businesses and organizations.
This information will provide our team with visualized, real-time data to help us understand community-wide impact throughout the COVID-19 incident. We are asking that you complete an initial submission and submit additional information if your status changes. All submissions/data will be kept private and only shared amongst our team.
Complete Survey Here
This is a snapshot of the our dashboard as it pertains to County Business Status Survey during COVID-19. It consumes data inputted from the businesses taking the survey and visualizes it in real-time for our team to have an enhanced understanding of community-wide impact during an incident.